The US Government signs treaties with various countries for nationals of those countries to come over temporarily.

These are strictly non immigrant visas and do not lead to Permanent Residency.
They can be filed either with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service in the United States (as an extension or change of status) or with the Consular Posts.

Note: India does not have any of these treaty benefits.

E-1 (Treaty Traders)


  1. The applicant must be a National of the Treaty Country
  2. The Company in the US must have more than 50% of ownership in the foreign country
  3. Must be engaged in TRADE ie, international exchange of goods, services, and technology
  4. The Trade must be SUBSTANTIAL
  5. The Trade must be principally between the the US and the Treaty Country (ie more than 50%)
  6. The Applicant must be employed managerial position or possess essential skills similar to L-1 Requirements

E-2 (Treaty Investors)


  1. The applicant must be a National of the Treaty Country
  2. The company in the US must have more than 50% of ownership in the foreign country
  3. The Investment must be substantial – We will need to trace the source of that investment from the foreign country
  4. The Investment can not be marginal- (a) must generate a net Profit and (b) Create US jobs
  5. The investor must have control of the funds, and the investment must be at risk in the assets of the investment enterprise are not allowed
  6. Investor must be in a supervisory/managerial position


  1. Both these visas continue until such time as the business continues
  2. The dependent wife and children can live in the US
  3. Please see list of necessary documents at the end of this page

E-3 for Australians

Given to 10,500 Australian Nationals. Very similar to H-1B visa, except that these are temporary and cannot convert to the Green Card.

The Procedure and Requirements are the same as the H-1B, ie Certified LCA, Educational Requirement, Professional Job, etc. Please read those requirements in the H-1B section of this web page.

TN for Canadians and Mexicans

TN visa is given under the North American Free Trade Agreement to Canadian and Mexican Citizens. NAFTA created a list of professions and qualifications for them. If Canadian or Mexican citizens have a job sponsor for any occupations on that list and have the qualification to do the job, then they can apply. While Canadian citizens can get the visa in their Port of Entry, Mexican citizens will need to send their package to a US Consulate in Mexico and wait for an interview in the Consulate before they can come over.


    1. Offer Letter from US Employer in a job described in the NAFTA List or Schedule
    2. Qualifications-Educational/Experience/License etc from the beneficiary showing that she

meets the NAFTA list requirements

  1. Proof of Canadian or Mexican Citizenship
  2. If the Job requires supervision, then name, title and phone number of supervisor
  3. For Mexican Citizens-DS 156 and DS-157 and photograph


Citizens of certain nations (Mostly European nations, Japan and Singapore) do not need a Visa to visit the US. The allowable time limit for this Visa Waiver is a maximum of 90 days. This cannot be extended from the US, nor be converted to any other type of visa.

Applicants must have a machine readable passport .