To work in the United States one needs a valid I-94.  See  However if one wishes to travel outside the US and enter the United States again, one needs a visa stamped on their passport. The ONLY way to do that is by going to a US Consulates outside the United States.  US Consulates in Mexico and Canada generally entertainsthird country nationals, i.e. individuals from any country who reside in the United States and want their visas stamped on their passports.  


General tips:

  1. Dress professionally
  2. Be on time, have all documents ready
  3. Just answer the question asked. Don’t speak too much, the officers don’t have the time for your life history
  4. Don’t joke, but be friendly and nice
  5. Read the petition carefully, especially the petition letter and familiarize yourself with all the details.
  6. If you are not sure of the answer, say so, don’t make up something.
  7. If you have any problems, contact us.  If you get a 221g letter, please contact us.  If the officer requests for more information, please contact us.  


Here are some helpful links:

General Guidelines:

  • Fill out the proper form
  • Pay visa fee
  • Schedule an appointment
  • Submit documents

Non Immigrant visa form: DS 160


Immigrant visa forms: DS:260


Find a Consulate and set up the appointment:


How long will it take to get the appointment:



Visas in Canada:


Visas from India: