H-4 Work Permit

By May 18, 2015Commentary
  1. Who can get the work permit?

Spouses of H-1B. The H-1B individual needs to have: (1) and Approved I-140 and (2) Maintain his or her H-1B status.


The H-4 person needs to also maintain his or her H-4 status


So this is not spouses for recent arrivals who just has H-1B and has not started the Green Card (Permanent Resident Card) process yet.  Note L-2 can apply for work permit immediately upon entry into the US.


  1. When can the H-4 apply ?


Starting from May 26, 2015.  Citizenship and Immigration Service will reject applications filed before this date.


  1. Is this a sure thing?

This is under the Executive Action which is being currently challenged in Court. So this is not 100% sure. To date Citizenship and Immigration Service has not released any new forms or regulations


  1. Documents: These would probably be the necessary documents
    1. Copy of marriage certificate (with English translation)
    2. Copy of children’s birth certificate, if any
    3. Copy of H-4 approval and/or Visa page
    4. Copy of H-1B spouse’s H-1B approval
    5. Copy of H-1B spouses I-140 approval
    6. Three Recent paystubs of H-1B spouse
    7. Two passport size pictures of H-4 Employment Authorization Document applicant


Please contact Houston Immigration Attorney, Annie Banerjee for more details