Texas Driver's License will be issued to DACA recipients

According to a  Department of Public Safety memo to its officers, the Texas DPS Public Relations Office says that the Deferred Action candidates will get the Texas Driver’s License. Simply getting the I-821D and the work permit is not enough though. One will have to go through the whole process of getting a new license.  After getting the work permit, one has to get the Social Security number before applying for the Driver’s license. 

“All first time applicants for a Texas driver license must:

  1. Apply in person at a Texas driver license office.
  2. Present documents that verify your identity.
  3. Present documents that verify you are a U.S. citizen or have lawful presence. All information on each document must match. Additional documentation may be required to verify conflicting information, incomplete names, and date of birth.
  4. Present proof of Social Security Number. If you do not have a Social Security Number, you must complete a Social Security Affidavit form available at the driver license office.
  5. Present proof of your Texas residency.
  6. Present proof of Texas vehicle registration and liability insurance on all vehicles you own.
  7. Complete the application for driver license or identification card (PDF). You may type your information on the form, print it, and bring it with you to the office. If you don’t have a printer, the form is also available at the office.
  8. Consent to be photographed, fingerprinted, and provide your signature at the time of application.
  9. Pass the written, driving, and vision examinations. (Read more about foreign language examinations.)
  10. Pay the required fee with a credit card, cash, money order, or a non-temporary check.
  11. Provide a vehicle for the driving exam and present current liability insurance, Texas vehicle registration, and inspection for the vehicle.”

The license will be horizontal, and look like a temporary license.  It will be issued for 2 years, or the validity of the work permit. 

Contact Houston Immigration Lawyer, or Houston Immigration Attorney Annie Banerjee, for more information.