What You Need to Know About I-140

By June 15, 2010Employer/Employee

The I-140 Educational and Work Experience equivalency is a good way to have your experience count, and maybe transcend to the lottery-picked visa system.

Lottery-picked employment-based visas go like hotcakes and professional people with aspirations about coming to America can easily be left out.

Ever heard of the I-140 Educational and Work experience equivalency? While immigration is the only niche within the legal arena where quotas are still allowed, it’s common knowledge that employment-based visas, such as the coveted H-1B, aren’t easily obtained by professionals wishing to immigrate to the United States from India and China. These populous nations teeming with qualified professional people get their national quotas filled quickly, resulting in queues to try one’s patience, especially for third preference visas. Second Preference is another option, albeit with caveats.

For instance, your experience must be post-degree and involve a pre-petitioning company. If you have experience in the same job at the petitioning company, this is insufficient because if the employer is able to train the beneficiary, he’d prefer training an American – not you.

If you possess a master’s degree but it’s not from the U.S., the problem of congruence can arise – as your master’s isn’t likely to match your bachelor’s as a credential.

Since evaluations are for advisory purposes only, the USCIS does not have to follow them. In the same vein, work experience can’t be substituted for years in a degree program – as the H-1B allows.
Recommendations by the Nebraska Service Center for Degree equivalency could also be pertinent.
If you do possess a U.S. master’s degree – and if it’s in the field required, no additional documents would be required.

Your 4 year bachelor’s degree + 2 year master’s degree obtained in India will need to be “subbed” by degrees in the same or related fields to equal a U.S. master’s degree.

If you possess a 3 year bachelor’s degree + 1 year postgraduate diploma + 2 year master’s degree obtained in India, to become acceptable for educational preference you’ll require degrees in the same or similar field or a bachelor’s degree + one additional year of education, to measure up. If you have 5 years of progressive experience, this combination could be acceptable as a master’s degree equivalency.

A. Banerjee is a Houston immigration lawyer in Texas. Before selecting an immigration lawyer in Houston Texas, contact the Law Offices of Annie Banerjee by visiting their information filled web site at https://www.visatous.com.